Saturday, September 22, 2018

A Year Like None Other


“Yet I will praise You
Yet I will sing of Your name
Here in the shadows
Here I will offer my praise
What's true in the light
Is still true in the dark
You're good and You're kind
And You care for this heart
Lord I believe
You weep with me”



The short verse above is a snippet from a song that has been on repeat on my playlist ever since I heard it earlier this year. These words are powerful, an expression of love and admiration mixed with the desolation of grief that at some point we all feel in our walk with God. I have not posted for awhile, but that does not mean I have not been continuing to explore the emotional abyss that is dealing with childhood cancer. Never more poignant has this struggle been than the month of September as we not only observe Childhood Cancer Awareness month, but also prepare to celebrate Hazel’s birthday. My recent explorations and musings have been more internally focused, attempting to use my pen to make sense of life following April of 2017. I have studied loss and struggle throughout the Bible, learned the meaning and purpose of lament, and spent countless hours of reverent silence to allow God to rebuild that which was torn down over a year ago. I hope to someday reveal the results of this exploration in an actual published format, a memoir of our walk through this valley and an encouraging word for others as they trod the same path. For now, however, I will simply provide an update on Hazel’s progress thus far.

Hazel has had an amazing 2018. We were blessed to enter the Maintenance phase of her treatment earlier this year and she has been adapting amazingly well. Compared to last year’s bouts of sickness, hospital stays, and in-home quarantines, 2018 has been wholly different. Hazel’s cacophonous laughter can be heard throughout our home day in and day out. She runs, she jumps, she dances, and she sings constantly. In a matter of weeks she has fully potty trained herself, she does “homework” with the kids, and draws endless happy pictures, many of which are hung up in Daddy’s office. She is attending dance and tumbling classes this fall and starts soccer in October.

The Miller’s life has returned to a near normal state of affairs with a completely full schedule of activities and school. Unfortunately, Leukemia still exists in our house, never more evident than at night as Hazel uses her own tiny hands to push the liquid chemo out of a syringe and into her mouth or on clinic days when we all once again travel to Columbus. By all accounts Hazel is doing amazingly well, which means most days are filled more with rejoicing than with remorse.

Our year is much different than it was last year, but also much different than many others in our “community” of cancer friends. We have witnessed loss over the past year that has destroyed families, watched as lives were lost and hearts broken. We have done our best to comfort others, weeping with them as battles were lost, mourning the time foregone by an ugly, unrelenting disease. We are thankful for Hazel’s success, but saddened by the pain others must endure.

Hazel turns 4 this coming week, and though our life looks much different now than it did a year ago, we thank God each additional day we get to spend with her. I don’t know what our future holds, and I don’t need to, because our here and now is pretty great.

Thank you all for your kindness and support through this most difficult time in our life. God has shown us his love through loving people around the world and we praise him for it.

“Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”                                                        - Isaiah 41:10

1 comment:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and having hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year. At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patient we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patient Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal treatment.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com . We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Doctor Itua Herbal Treatment..He assured me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete