Saturday, March 21, 2020

There is a Virus Out There


“Dad, you can’t be outside! There is a virus out there,” Hazel, age 5, ushering me inside upon my return from work on Friday.

The world has always been a bizarre place, but never more so than now. My drive to work takes me past countless closed businesses – dark windows and empty parking lots telling the tale of the screeching halt our country has come to in the grips of COVID-19 hysteria. I spend my day in a bubble of feigned normal activity which is continually punctured by meetings to deal with the latest information on the Coronavirus pandemic. My kids have been forced into homeschool, their teachers learning on the fly how to push out lessons via Google Classroom and other online communication tools. My extended family is splintered, interacting via FaceTime and through closed windows of vehicles idling on empty streets. Church is canceled, dance is canceled, soccer is canceled. The world we know is suspended in time, watching with wide eyes as each new social limiting edict is delivered from our political leaders to try to curb the spread of an enemy we cannot see, but know is among us.

The scale of this current pandemic is something most of the developed world has never seen before and certainly something most of my generation has never witnessed, and yet the measures we are taking…feel so familiar. My family has been quarantined before, a lot actually. We have spent weeks without hugging our loved ones, washed our hands until they were raw, sanitized every surface in our house daily. We didn’t panic when the stores sold out of hand sanitizer because we still have unopened quarts of the stuff. We have foregone birthday parties, avoided stores, and skipped church (even though we desperately wanted to be there). We didn’t need to buy Lysol wipes because we had a case left in the basement.

As a parent of child that had a blood cancer, I will never forget (or recover) from the experience of self-quarantining in a world that was operating at full capacity. We looked out the door and saw nothing but germs and sickness, seemingly benign issues for most of society that could have spelled death for our beautiful little redhead. We lived in constant fear during that time, stopping loved ones at the door, scrutinized our food preparation, minimized our contact with anyone and everyone. We did what we could to control the things that we could…and yet Hazel still had sickness. She still had fevers and we still were forced into weeks-long hospital stays that likely saved her life.

I am fortunate to be able to worry much less about Hazel now than two years ago. Her immune system has nearly fully recovered and she can now fight off sickness on her own, although COVID-19 still presents considerable risk. I cannot even imagine having a child going through chemotherapy during this time. Cancer parents already live at a state of heightened concern, feeding off of the constant stream of adrenaline released as you do everything in your power to keep your child alive. I imagine it is similar to how first responders continue performing their jobs in states of emergency or how soldiers continue fighting in times of war despite being totally physically and emotionally depleted. I rode that “high” for months at a time, carrying on through all the peaks and valleys of Hazel’s treatment. Elizabeth and I balanced work, finances, school, the needs of our other three children, and Hazel’s battle for as long as we could until one of us would eventually crack. Our bodies and minds would perform for as long as they could and then one day, we would just collapse, broken, depleted, worn, done.

God was glorious enough during those times to ensure that we didn’t both go down at once, allowing our partner the strength to continue handling life, while the other spouse was crushed under our personal crisis. But then, slowly, we got through it, picked up the pieces, and continued on.

It has been a long time since I felt that type of pressure, but this week, my adrenaline high fueled by anxiety has returned. By virtue of position and circumstance, my level of concern now no longer lies within the four walls of my own home. I have 30+ team members currently spread across the United States that depend on me to keep projects moving, provide them resources, and ultimately maintain their safety. I have worked next to every one of these individuals over the years. I know their stories, have met their families, and have shared in many of their own personal victories. My capabilities are stretched as I try to keep our business running smoothly, maintain the safety of our team, and balance their personal needs during this time of pandemonium. I also have 350+ church members that look to the decisions of several of the leadership boards I sit on to help keep our members safe, yet still be the hands and feet of Christ during this time. And of course, I have five immediate family members that are watching how I handle myself in a world fraught with uncertainty. 

Today’s global crisis is scary. The health danger of the Coronavirus pandemic aside, the state of our society as a whole is concerning. Thousands are without a job for an indefinite amount of time, stores are struggling to maintain supplies, and politicians and health advisors are doing their best to keep the public informed – and yet our country marches on, trying to stabilize the reeling economy and keep the most vulnerable of our population safe.

Much has been written on how the measures put in place by our government are not for the masses, but for the individuals that cannot fight this virus. Every time I sanitize my hands, wipe a door handle, or turn on an air purifier, I remember that, because Hazel was one of those individuals. I don’t care what your stance is on vaccines, healthcare interventions, or political affiliations, the actions we take today on a personal level determine life or death for those who have nothing to bring to this fight tomorrow. Being immunosuppressed is horrifying in a world without COVID-19, but it has become even more desperate in the current landscape.

I have walked a similar path to this already in my life. Crisis exists, but my reaction to it is the measure of the man I have become. I have prayed my entire life for wisdom, a focused desire to ensure I can lead when needed, and it is needed now more than ever. I strive to make my actions contemplative, using data to inform my decisions, leading with my heart, and allowing faith to act as my guide. My God is real, he is bigger than the problems I face, and he can handle this. My job is to be His servant, and act out His will. The public mantra has become "We are all in this together" to signify we are not alone, but I would add to that "...and He is here." 

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment